Fraud seems to be occurring quite a bit these days—especially real estate fraud and loan modification scams to delay foreclosure. There have probably been many studies completed to prove that the tougher the economic climate, the more prevalent the fraud.
In San Diego County, there are many ways in which you can report fraud or scams and file a complaint.
Where do you begin if you believe that you (or one of your clients) are a victim of fraud or know someone who you believe has been a victim of fraud?
- File a complaint with the San Diego District Attorney’s Office.
- File a complaint with the California Attorney General’s Office.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
- If the complaint is against a California licensed salesperson or real estate broker, visit the Department of Real Estate website.
- If the complaint is against an attorney, visit the State Bar of California website.
- On other option to consider is small claims court. These are informal courts where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively by a judge. You can recover up to $7500 in Small Claims Court. You represent yourself and can request a judgment for monetary damages. Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for further information.
If you want to learn more about loan modification fraud, check out these posts: